The 4 benefits pelvic floor physical therapy can offer you
Pelvic floor physical therapy is a type of therapeutic treatment. It’s designed to build strength in the pelvic region and address any discomfort or pain from pelvic floor disorder (PFD). Pelvic floor disorder is a condition that involves weakness in the pelvic muscles or other connective tissue.
If you think you may benefit from physical therapy treatment for pelvic floor disorder, keep reading the sections below. We’ll go over some of the reasons why someone could need treatment, as well as the benefits of treatment.
What types of conditions or symptoms might necessitate pelvic floor physical therapy?
There are a variety of reasons why someone might need pelvic floor treatment in physical therapy. Some relevant conditions and symptoms include:
- Urinary incontinence — One of the most common reasons why someone enters pelvic floor physical therapy is because of urinary incontinence. Urinary incontinence is the loss of control of the bladder. It is often characterized by frequent or unexpected urination. This frequent urination can make social situations uncomfortable to participate in.
- Bowel incontinence — Bowel incontinence, similar to urinary incontinence, is the inability to fully control the bowels. It can also make social situations difficult to participate in for fear of losing control over the bowels. When pelvic incontinence results in trouble controlling bowel movements, it’s time to visit a pelvic floor physical therapist.
- Pelvic organ prolapse — Another indicator that pelvic floor physical therapy is necessary is pelvic organ prolapse. Pelvic organ prolapse occurs when organs, such as the bladder and cervix, drop from their normal placement in the pelvis.
- Pregnancy — Pregnancy can often necessitate pelvic floor therapy. During pregnancy, the pelvic floor muscles and connective tissue may become weak. Joints and ligaments can start to move from their original position and cause pelvic dysfunction.
- Discomfort or pain during intercourse — Those who experience discomfort or pain during intercourse may benefit from pelvic floor physical therapy treatment.
What are some of the benefits that pelvic floor physical therapy can offer to men and women?
Physical therapy has a variety of benefits to offer to those who need treatment for their pelvic floor weakness — both men and women:
- Decreasing urinary leakage — One of the benefits of pelvic floor physical therapy, for men and women, is that it can reduce urinary leakage by strengthening muscles and increasing bladder control.
- Reducing frequent urges to use the restroom — Another benefit of pelvic floor physical therapy is that it can improve symptoms of urinary and/or bowel urgency, which is the need to empty the bladder or bowels, respectively. Is pelvic floor disorder causing you to use the restroom more than normal? PT can provide you with the strengthening exercises needed to gain more control over your pelvic function.
- Easing pain in the pelvic region — Physical therapy for pelvic floor disorder can help reduce pain in the pelvic area. If your pain is caused by weak muscles or connective tissue, exercises during PT can help build strength and ultimately reduce pain.
- Building strength in the back and abdominal muscles — PT can also build up strength in the back and abdominal muscles. It may help relieve a variety of symptoms related to PFD, including back and abdominal pain.
Let Lattimore PT help you improve the health of your pelvic floor
Lattimore Physical Therapy & Sports Rehabilitation Network first got its start in 1992. John and Cindy Shuman, husband and wife, first launched their own physical therapy practice with the aim to improve the quality of life of each member of their community. Since 1992, Lattimore PT has opened nearly 30 locations across New York.
Our team of talented physical therapists spread across the state is dedicated to understanding the treatment that works best for you. We specialize in taking a hands-on, interactive approach with each of our patients to provide them with the best care possible. We love to see our patients thrive, which is why we’ll do as much as we can to help get them to that point. The physical therapists at each of our Lattimore locations take pride in their work and do their best to come to the clinic each day with a smiling face. We aim to make each physical therapy session enjoyable yet productive. The ultimate mark of success, to us, is a patient who feels positively impacted by our work. Are you ready to experience “the Lattimore way”?
We feel confident when we say that we can provide effective treatment to improve the health of your pelvic floor. Are you suffering from pelvic floor disorder? Don’t wait to reach out to one of our physical therapists to start getting the care you need.
Contact our team today for more information or to schedule an initial appointment.