If you’ve ever gone to the hospital for surgery and then in the following weeks visited a physical therapy clinic for follow-up rehabilitation, you’ve had outpatient physical therapy. Outpatient PT is a therapy that provides treatment in a clinic setting rather than in a hospital. Treatment is provided throughout a series of scheduled sessions where the patient meets with a PT specialist at a professional care facility.
There are several benefits of outpatient physical therapy. Hoping to learn more about what this type of care entails? Take a look through the sections below detailing why someone might need it as well as some of the benefits it can provide.
What are some of the reasons someone might need outpatient physical therapy?
Outpatient physical therapy can be helpful to a variety of patients. There are an endless number of reasons why someone might undergo this type of therapy, but these are just a few of the most common:
- Post-surgical rehabilitation — Outpatient physical therapy is often used to aid in the recovery process after a surgical procedure is performed. Surgical procedures can take weeks and even months to fully recover from. PT can not only speed up the process but also ensure that patients aren’t doing anything to hinder their progress. PT is especially effective at restoring range of motion, limiting scar tissue and building muscle strength after a patient undergoes surgery.
- Strokes — It’s also common to see stroke patients in outpatient physical therapy. After a stroke and subsequent hospital visits, many stroke patients need rehabilitative treatment to help them walk, talk or perform other activities that may have become challenging.
- Vehicular accidents — An individual who has been in a car accident is another commonly seen type of patient in outpatient PT clinics. Car accidents can cause a variety of injuries, ranging from mild to severe. Physical therapy sessions at a PT clinic can be an effective long-term treatment option for those who have left the hospital after their accident but still need a certain degree of rehabilitation and care.
What are some of the benefits of outpatient physical therapy?
Outpatient PT can provide several benefits, many of which can last far beyond the patient’s last session. For example:
- Consistent care — Outpatient physical therapy can provide regular care and treatment. If you find it challenging to maintain a routine on your own, attending physical therapy sessions can provide you with consistency so that you’re getting regular movement in when you need to be.
- Convenient treatment — Another benefit of outpatient physical therapy is that it is designed to work with your schedule. Patients lead busy lives, and outpatient PT allows patients to keep up with their busy schedules and also maintain regular appointments that work best for them.
- Pain reduction — For patients in pain, PT may gradually decrease pain levels and provide patients with care that does not exceed their pain threshold. Physical therapy should never be overly painful but may require some discomfort to eventually reduce pain overall.
- Long-term health — Another benefit of outpatient PT is that it can provide patients with long-term health benefits. It can increase muscle strength and mobility, reduce pain, and more. The therapeutic results of physical therapy can be felt for weeks, months and even years after a patient’s last session.
Let Lattimore PT help you get the right outpatient physical therapy care you need
Lattimore Physical Therapy & Sports Rehabilitation Network first got its start in 1992. John and Cindy Shuman, husband and wife, first launched their own physical therapy practice with the aim to improve the quality of life of each member of their community. Since 1992, Lattimore PT has opened nearly 30 locations across New York.
Our team of talented physical therapists across the state is dedicated to understanding the best treatment for you. We specialize in taking a “hands-on,” interactive approach with each of our patients to provide them with the best care possible. We love to see our patients thrive, which is why we’ll do as much as we can to help get them to that point. The physical therapists at each of our Lattimore locations take pride in their work and do their best to come to the clinic each day with a smiling face. We aim to make each physical therapy session enjoyable yet productive. The ultimate mark of success, to us, is a patient who feels positively impacted by our work. Are you ready to experience “the Lattimore way”?
We provide a high-quality level of outpatient physical therapy care to every patient who comes into our clinic each day. If your doctor is recommending outpatient physical therapy following a hospital stay, let us be your trusted partner in care. Schedule a session with us today to get started on the path toward recovery.
Contact our team today for more information or to schedule an initial appointment.